Saturday, September 02, 2006

Kansas City Irish Fest
























The Kansas City Irish Fest bills itself as the third largest Irish festival in the United States. Perhaps. I'm absolutely positive that it offers the best-tasting beer.



















I didn't dare ask these pipers what they were doing at an Irish Festival.



















The festival's attractions aren't limited to beer and music. There's an Irish history tent. Kids can bounce on moonwalks, make crafts, and best of all, play in the fountains. This is a bodhran workshop conducted by Mairtin de Cogain of The Fuchsia Band. And needless to say, vendors selling food and merchandise abound.



















Plenty of toilets, complete with soap and hand-washing facilities, are a sure sign of a well-run festival that respects its customers.
























Seamus Kennedy performed on The Boulevard Pub Stage Friday afternoon. My pal Jason detested Kennedy's efforts the previous night at The Gaf, but I found his light-hearted songs and jokes endearing.

















Seamus Kennedy's audience gives me the evil eye. I can't quite identify the expression of the attractive woman with bare arms. Is it revulsion, disdain or pity?

















Enter the Haggis irritated me. I'm in the minority; most people adored the Canadian Celtic-rock band.




















I had been eager to see The Hothouse Flowers. I share my impressions of them here.



















The green team wins. What a great festival!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bagpipes are played in almost all countries, I think it is perfectly normal that bagipers were at this festival. Field Marshall Montgomery is one of the Top Bag Pipe Bands in the World and they are from Ireland. Get your head out of your arse.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Happy In Bag said...

Hey Anon- Thanks for the input. My favorite bagpiper was Rufus Harley, an American who died a few weeks ago.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Boulevard Beer! Wish I had one right now.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home