Friday, March 20, 2009

A Kansan In the Canyon (First Leg)






















2,772 miles.

That's the length of the road trip I just completed.

I'd hoped to visit a glamorous location like Berlin or Buenos Aires for spring break, but the global economic crisis nixed that dream. Still, my traveling jones must be sated.

A trek to the Grand Canyon was my fallback plan. Not bad, right?
















There's a catch. The quality of life in the Kansas City area is great until it's time to escape. We're surrounded by hundreds of miles of empty space. All that time behind the wheel made my head and back ache. Still, I enjoyed every mile once I learned to pop Aleve and Tylenol like candy.






















The trip began with an obligatory visit to kin in western Kansas. The state's back roads are the only way to go.
















I finally made it to Oklahoma. I drove through the state's panhandle at night. Staring at the stars was a mystical experience. I'd forgotten that the night sky seems three dimensional and eerily alive without the veil of urban lights.




















Restaurants and upscale hotels weren't an option. Food came from grocery stores and sleep was found at relatively inexpensive motels.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruralgurl said...

Love the skies!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Happy In Bag said...

Lotsa sky in Kansas, RG.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home