Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Kansan In the Canyon (Second Leg)















The real fun began in New Mexico.




















I took in the dinosaur tracks at Clayton Lake State Park.















Members of the anti-evolution set have attempted to rewrite the explanatory texts.















Had I known that the path around the rim at Capulin Volcano was covered with ice, I wouldn't have attempted the hike. Scary! The vistas, however, were worth the trouble.
















An inspection of The Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park gave me much-needed perspective.
















Spending two nights in Taos was a mistake. I'd always wanted to experience the town. I reckoned it was an ideal match for my sensibilities. Maybe that was true twenty years ago. The place just irritates me now.






















With its crass tourist trappings, Taos is no more than a laughably pretentious version of Branson, Missouri. And there's a palpable tension in the air. While shopping for groceries at Albertson's, I witnessed open hostility between angry, disillusioned anarchists and Volvo-driving richies. It was an ugly scene.















Still, there's no denying Taos' gorgeous setting. Fun in the snow provided a welcome respite from rancorous humans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home